Tuesday, January 31, 2006

About Tonight's Dem Response to the SOTU

Tonight, much to my great disappointment, the Democratic party has chosen my Governor, Tim Kaine, to deliver their response to the State of the Union.

First off, I voted for Kaine, and I'm glad he won. So then, why my disappointment?

Because Tim Kaine is a bigot plain and simple, and he supports taking this country backwards. He is absolutely the wrong chioce to be the voice of the Democratic party on such a momentous occasion.

I have to agree totally with John at Americablog on this one, and while I have always admired her before, I don't give a rat's ass what Katrina Vanden Heuvel has to say about it. She's just wrong on this one.

Tim Kaine is a full fledged American Taliban in sheep's clothing.

Why the vitriol? Tim Kaine supports a state constitutional amendment that would prohibit gay marriage.


Daily Press: A constitutional ban on gay marriage or anything like it will go to voters in a November statewide referendum, sparking a potentially emotional fight for the hearts and minds of Virginians. (...)

Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, believes marriage is between a man and a woman, but he is concerned that the proposed amendment might go too far....
Tim supports the bill, he just doesn't like the language in the bill that might weaken it.

It's a damn shame this is going to referrendum, as this state will definitely pass it, and if it's appealed to the scotus, the Roberts led court will certainly uphold it.

FYI I'm not gay, nor do I even have any gay friends as far as I know, with the exception of several fellow bloggers whom I know and admire, if only through the internet. That needn't have been said as it shouldn't make any difference. This is a very slippery slope and a huge step backwards for our state, and for our country.

Just like nearly every other policy that has been pursued by chimpyco since they stole the Whitehouse, I'm pissed off and embarrassed by it. All of us should be.

This is a clear tyranny of the majority. Fuck the intent of the bill of rights. Fags are today's niggers when it comes to pandering to voters. That's what Tim Kaine supports.

Even Coretta Scott King linked the pursuit of civil rights for gays to African-American civil rights. To move forward with laws that reduce a segment of our society to second class citizens not worthy of the same rights as others, for no other reason than pure bigotry, is worse than pissing on her freshly dug grave. There is simply no justification for it.

VA is for lovers. Not!

How exactly would a gay couple being allowed to marry harm anything or anyone in any way whatsoever? Certainly making it illegal will be harmful to them in many many ways. Wouldn't it just be better for everyone if we promoted love and monogomy regardless of a person's sexual preference instead of intolerance and bigotry?

Why can't the high and mighty Religious Right understand, and play fair? No one wants to deprive anyone of their right to believe and practice their religion in this country. Why does the Religious Right want to deprive others of their right to believe and act how they choose?

What is the battle for? I don't have any problem at all with public displays of a religious nature as long as they aren't paid for with taxpayer money or put into schools or govt buildings, unless those displays are multidenominational, open to all faiths equally, and then they're probably ok. I even think teaching religion in public school is a good idea, as long as the course embraces all faiths and does not preface any one over another, and as long as it is taught as religious studies and not as a science. Then I don't have a problem with that at all. Science is based on that which is observable and repeatable. Religion is based on what cannot be seen, but can be believed anyway. I think most persons of all religions are genuinely good people, and I admire a lot of the really good things that religious organizations do. So there, I've offered an olive branch here. Why can't we all just get along?

[Update] I sent (oh yes I did) Tim Kaine an email containing nearly all of the above, dicey language and all. This is the automated response I got,...
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. When your
email requires in-depth analysis, please allow up to ten business days for
a response. If you need to correspond further with me, please return to
our e-mail form:
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/abouttheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Sincerely,
Tim Kaine
Governor of Virginia
I can't wait until someone actually reads it, assuming anybody will. I'll surely post any further response I may recieve, but certainly I won't hold my breath.



|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home