Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Did Bush Really Say The Constitution Is "Just a Goddamned Piece of Paper"

You know, when Doug Thompson at wrote that article almost 2 months ago, I really wanted to link to it, but I was unable to confirm it elsewhere. That's not to say I really doubted chimpy could have said something like that.

We've since learned that our 4th amendment rights don't mean shit to chimpy, evidenced by the illegal NSA wiretapping program, and now our 1st Amendment rights don't mean crap to him either.

U.S. Constitution: First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

a·bridge vt
1. shorten something: to shorten a text, for example, by cutting or summarizing it
abridged for television
2. cut something short: to reduce something in scope or extent
They abridged the meeting as best they could.
3. restrict something: to deprive somebody of rights or privileges
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Pictures and Breaking Story a Bradblog Exclusive
Cindy Sheehan arrested for Wearing a KIA T-shirt.

Just read Cindy's account via Buzzflash...

What Really Happened at the State of the Union
by Cindy Sheehan

....I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there and I thought every once in awhile they would show me and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable that I would be arrested...maybe I would have, but I didn't
....(read the whole thing)

[UPDATE] In case anyone has any doubts that our 1st Amendment rights are now under attack under this President, check this, this, and this, courtesy John Aravosis at Americablog.

WTF is it going to take before we as a nation stand up to this dictator wannabe. He fucking stole office in the first place, and he obviously doesn't give a shit about the Constitution. So I have to now say that I totally believe Thompson's account. How many more rights are we going to give up before we realize our democratic republic is over, and if we don't stand up and do something about it, we may never get it back.

A man who was never fairly elected to office in the first place, nor was he fairly re-elected, has now stacked the Supreme Court with ideologues who may not only roll back Roe v Wade, they might very well allow monopoly corporate mergers, like Diebold & ES&S, or CNN and Fox news, or who knows what else. If either of those things were to happen, and they are just 2 that come immediately to mind, the GOP will easily permenantly consolidate their total grip on control of this country in ways Putin could only be jealous of.

What the fuck more is it going to take. (Let me leave you now with a link to an audiofile to my favorite rant from the awesome movie "Network". It's a bit slow to load, but worth it. If you haven't ever seen this movie, go rent it ASAP.)

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.
You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

"I'm as mad as hell,
and I'm not going to take this anymore
"

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home